Nicole Blogger Banner

Nicole Blogger Banner

Monday, February 24, 2014

My Future as a Runner

This past November, I had a lateral release of my left kneecap so it could be realigned, along with the back of my patella smoothed out.  It was pretty "beat up" as my surgeon put it.

I've been in physical therapy for about a month, and making progress.  I don't walk down stairs like a little old lady anymore.  I can bike, walk and do some simple exercises to strengthen the muscles around my kneecap.

I saw my orthopedic surgeon today. "Running might be in your future, down the road."  To which I replied, "How far down the road?"  "Maybe next summer."  I couldn't believe it.  "Maybe?"

I just bought a cute t-shirt from Target that said, "Run Fast or Be Last" because it was only 7 dollars.  I should be happy that I'm walking okay at this point...  but running as a "maybe?"

I know I'm not God's gift to the sport, but running has certainly been a gift to me.  When I run, I feel better about myself, can think more clearly, and I just use it as my time to just relax and meditate.

I cannot imagine this not being part of my future, and I don't know how to deal with that.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear your disappointing news. "Maybe next summer" is still better than "Never, ever again." I'll be rooting for you whenever you make your triumphant return to running!

    ReplyDelete